Lemongrass Coconut Chicken and Vegetables (Kashi frozen dinner copycat)
This week Elias and I celebrated our fifth anniversary (yay!) and in that time, I’ve come to learn the code for his rating system for foods. Simply asking “what do you think of this?” will get you nowhere. He’s a polite man, a sweetheart. His answer is always “Delicious!” However, if the “delicious” is also accompanied by a “MMMMMMM hmmmmmm” well, that’s a four star plate right there. If there is an “MMMMMMM hmmmmmmm” AND a “What’s in this?!” the dish is four and a half stars. If there is the MMMMM hmmmmm, a “What’s in this?” and a suggestion that the dish be made for company sometime, then I know the dish is a five star, home run, must make again dish, which is the rating this lemongrass coconut chicken with vegetables received.
Not only that, but it’s easy and quick to prepare, and healthy. I will be making this again, and I will probably play around with some of the proportions adding more veggies and/or swapping out some of the chicken for extra firm tofu. When I do, I’ll try to remember to post it in the comments.
I found this dish after eating the Kashi frozen meal and loving it. The homemade version so much better because it has real lemongrass, and more sauce. I served this with my cilantro-lime rice and thought they complimented each other beautifully. Buen Provecho!
Lemongrass Coconut Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 pieces of lemongrass (each about 6 inches long) – bruise the lemongrass first by crushing it under a knife to release its flavor
- 1 cup of lite canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 heaping cup (about 4 medium) sliced carrots
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets
- 1 heaping cup of snow peas
- zest of one lime
- shredded coconut
- lime wedges
- cooked rice or quinoa
- chopped cilantro
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Pan fry the chicken pieces until they are no longer pink (about 6 minutes).
2. Add the lemongrass, coconut milk, broth, ginger, and lime zest, to the pan and bring to a boil.
3. Add the vegetables if they are fresh. If they are frozen, wait until the last 5 minutes of cooking time so they don’t become mushy.
4. Reduce to medium, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, and the broth has absorbed the lemongrass flavor.
5. Serve over rice. Top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut, cilantro, and additional splash of lime juice, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Once a Month Meals