Tom Ka Soup
There is definitely something satisfying about recreating a dish normally eaten in a restaurant, and I’ve been wanting to recreate Tom Ka soup at home for a long time. I could eat this soup by the gallon. I order it every time I’m at the local Thai place and crave it. It’s sweet, and sour and a little salty too. The broth is lemongrass and chilli infused coconut milk. I adapted this recipe from a few recipes I found online as well as my memory of how the soup tastes at the restaurant. Though I made mine with tofu, cooked shrimp or chicken would be easy substitute for the tofu haters.
This soup is very easy to prepare. The only thing I had to learn, because I’ve never worked with it before, is how to prepare lemongrass. This youtube video came to my rescue! Buen Provecho!
Tom Ka Soup
1 can coconut milk
0 – 2 Green chilies (Because I was wanting to share with the notoriously wimpy E., I used zero. This would be awesome with a little spice though.)
2 C chicken or vegetable broth
2 stalks Lemongrass (chopped into 2 inch pieces and smashed with the back of a knife a little, see video for guidance)
1 can asian straw mushrooms or 1 cup white button mushrooms cut in quarters
1 cup tofu, cut into small cubes (or cooked chicken or shrimp)
1 T soy sauce
juice of 2 limes
cilantro and carrot shavings, for garnish
1. Simmer the prepared lemongrass and chillies in the broth for 40-50 minutes minutes so the lemongrass flavor steeps into the broth.
2. Turn off the heat and let the broth cool a little before adding the coconut milk. Shake the can of coconut milk well before whisking it in, slowly, to the broth.
3. Bring the broth back to a simmer for 10 additional minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and strain the lemongrass and chillies.
5. Return the broth to the heat and add soy sauce, lime juice, mushrooms and tofu. Simmer until mushrooms are cooked and everything is heated through, about 15 minutes. (Add cooked shrimp last so it’s heated through and not tough.)
6. Before serving garnish with chopped cilantro and shredded carrot.